6.27.2008

Honig Sauvignon Blanc '06

Country: USA
Region: Napa
Thoughts: As I've mentioned before, one of life's pleasures - for me anyway - is cruising through Total Wine and finding highly-rated yet inexpensive wines. Honig happened to be one of those wines; good rating, low price. And it's been a little while since I messed with a sauvignon blanc, so what the hell. The nose, for me, was surprisingly light. Fruitiness was present, but I was more taken by a larger presence of sweetness than I would have expected. One ingredient that came through crystal clear was honey, making it considerably different than other sauvignons I've tried. But the taste didn't hold up; the mouthfeel was kind of light and a little sparkly, but as a whole, it failed to take me anywhere. The first sip was puckeringly dry, though it mellowed a bit as the glass went on. Still, the taste was just kind of there and didn't do much for me - not that it was terrible, but the experience was lacking considerably. I suppose I rate wines differently than the experts, who go by the 'ideal' of what a certain varietal should be. So it stood up as a fine example of sauvignon blanc, but just not a wine that took me anywhere I wasn't expecting.
Do-over? If options are limited
Final Grade: C+

No comments: