6.08.2008

Stags' Leap Karia Chardonnay '05

Country: USA
Region: Napa
Thoughts: A wine such as this is typically beyond our price range. Yet it jumped out to me at Costco as a good celebration wine - we (and especially I) are celebrating the end of the prep sports season. That means I've got, oh, six weeks or so before Redskins camp begins (it happens early this year because they're playing in the Hall of Fame Game). Cripes... But I digress. What a great celebration wine this is; it's too pricey for us for everyday drinking, but I can't think of a better one for a special occasion. The bouquet was nice and relaxed; a smooth fruitiness with a hint of butter - so immediately, I had reservations. The taste was much the same: smooth with fruity notes jumping to the fore and a thankfully tame butter backdrop. It was nearly too mellow for me, but the whole thing came alive on the finish, making any shortcomings - no matter how minor - an old memory. Definitely a superior wine of those I've had so far.
Do-over? Absolutely - but when the occasion calls for it
Final Grade: A

No comments: