7.27.2008

I Vigneti di Albino Armani Pinot Grigio '07

Country: Italy
Thoughts: OK, I realize it's not Italian bread in the pic; I just needed some sort of prop and felt like it would be a good excuse to celebrate our friends across the pond. So cheerio to our friends in Europe, both in Italy (represented by the wine) and France (represented by the bread which, yes, I realize is made in America by an American company. Let's not squabble about details). The long name isn't the only unusual thing about this pinot grigio. It lacked the fruitiness that we've had so many other times; instead, honey was the calling card of this one. It came through prominently in the bouquet, taste and finish. It made for an interesting twist, certainly, and my wife immediately became a fan (she even suggested a grade for it, one that was above what I'll rate it as). I wasn't sold, though: For all it was - and it surely was a good-tasting wine that would be wonderful on a humid summer day - it lacked greatly in my all-important experience factor. To me, the taste was one-dimensional, a point on which my wife and I agreed to disagree. There seemed to be precious little depth it, like a wine that went meekly into the night without anyone ever realizing it was gone. It was good for what it was, but I can't say it's something I'd ever actively seek out.
Do-over? When my wife's buying, well, yes
Final Grade: B-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did think it was good - an interesting blend of honey, grapefruit, melon, and pears. It certainly wasn't your classic pinot grigio, but was very enjoyable nonetheless. I would give it a solid B to a B+. - The Wife