8.24.2008

Kendall-Jackson Grand Reserve Chardonnay '07

Country: USA
Region: California (55 percent Monterey County, 45 percent Santa Barbara County)
Thoughts: Let's hope my fantasy draft turned out better than this clunker. (In case you're wondering, I landed: Peyton [keeper], Boldin [keeper], Turner, Houshmandzadeh, McFadden, Roddy White, Vernon Davis, Ray Rice, Eli, Minnesota's defense, Crayton, Owen Daniels, Phil Dawson, Reggie Brown, Sidney Rice and a flyer on Leinart.) As I've said before, I tend to stay away from the megawineries; but I thought, well, it's a Grand Reserve; that's got to be better than the standard offering, right? If that's true, I'd be afraid to try to the standard offering. It's a shame, too, because this 'un started off with such promise. A light, airy and slightly dry nose, almost restrained; mellow on the tongue, too, fruitiness here and there but nothing overwhelming. And then it hit me; the butteriness of certain chards that I so despise beat me about the head on finish. It was a sad ending to an otherwise laudable drink, and it caught me so offguard that I have no choice but to sink it. We'll kill off the bottle, sure - it's not like some of the piss we've had before - but no longer will it tempt me from its crate at Costco. Only its unfulfilled potential kept this wine from joining the "D" class - otherwise known as the Dreck class.
Do-over? Nope
Final Grade: C

1 comment:

Keith M. said...

Well I'm no wine expert, but that roster sure looks like a box wine from Wal-Mart. :)

-- defending champ