3.22.2008

Pascal Jolivet Pouilly-Fume '06

Country: France
Thoughts: As we shopped at Costco on Thursday evening, my wife made the mistake of turning me loose in the wine aisle; I'm certain she expected me to come back with two bottles - in addition to our standard pair of Beringer mega-bottles - but I came back with three. The first was a no-brainer, the inexpensive but excellent Maso Canali; the second was this Pascal Jolivet selection. I admit I was drawn into by the little sign by the bottles; often, at Costco, it's a crapshoot. They'll tell you wine ratings for previous vintages, but getting current numbers is a rarity. The Pascal Jolivet did have a current rating, a 90 by Wine Spectator or Wine Enthusiast, I can't remember which. Still, it was good enough to sell me. And largely, the advice was spot on. The bouquet was a delight, a sweet floral aroma that was very inviting. The taste was a bit different, more dry than the nose would have indicated. Still, hints of fruitiness were there, just more in the background. There was a moderate excitement in the finish, though nothing that approached the likes of La Baronne. I found it to be a wonderful sipping wine, very smooth and a fine drink to have in your hand as you sit back to have a conversation with good friends.
Do-over? Absolutely
Final Grade: A-

No comments: