2.05.2008

Maso Canali Pinot Grigio '06

Country: Italy
Thoughts: Maso Canali came to my attention thanks to a comment left on the Santa Margherita review. Less expensive, more aromas, more character, the poster said. And I'm happy to report they were write on all counts. The aromas were plentiful; as a whole, it was fresh and sweet. Even my inexperienced sniffer could pick out the orange notes. When I took a sip, it felt like I was drinking from a fermented orange; that may sound like the coldest of slams, but I don't mean it that way. The orange flavor was subtle but definitely noticeable; the citrus was there pretty cleanly too. I couldn't get out of my mind that the wine had a certain, firm structure to it, whereas the Santa Margherita was just there. Cripes I feel incompetent when I can't describe this stuff. Just trust me, the wine was damn good. (And a hearty thanks to whoever recommended it.)
Do-over? Without a doubt
Final Grade: A-

No comments: