2.10.2008

Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc '06

Country: New Zealand
Thoughts: Spy Valley, along with several of the other wines I've gone through lately, were the result of a trip to Total Wine. There I spent several minutes culling through the white wine areas looking for those that came with a decent rating (85 or better from Wine Spectator or someone else) and could be had for a decent price ($20 or less). Occasionally I find my tastes out of tune with the experts, but this was not one of them. Spy Valley started with a bouquet sweeter than you'd expect from a sauv blanc; there seemed to be some plum noticeable in there along with other fruitiness. On the tongue, the wine was mellow and smooth; yet another part of it reminded me of a term I've heard to describe certain stouts - chewy. It made headway on the back of the tongue, which can't be said for many of the wines I've tried. The finish was dry and it faded quickly, which might make me more upset in a lesser wine. But I found this one to be well balanced, one that ranks high on the oft-mentioned (but highly unscientific) sipping scale.
Do-over? I'd have no problem with it
Final Grade: B+

No comments: