11.08.2008

Welcome, Austria: Leo Hillinger Pinot Grigio '07

Country: Austria
Thoughts: Ah, Austria, home of Viennese sausages and birthplace of our Governators, pictured above. Yes, I pulled up an Associated Press photo of California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, and he seems to be earnestly explaining some new policy. Really, instead of pounding on the lectern, I'd recommend an underhanded karate chop through the bottle... OK, it really wasn't that bad, but it was far from stellar. Come on, this is supposed to be pinot grigio; of all the wines I regularly check out, this is supposed to be the most lush, the most fruity and the most enchanting. This wasn't. It was flat and a little hot on the tongue; it even smelled more like a sauv than a pinot. Then again, maybe that's what a terroir of flat, eastern Austria brings; maybe something in the west, in the middle of the Alps, Innsbruck-ish, would have a little more character. Or maybe I'm just bitter about being sucked in by a cool-looking label (again) and, as it turned out, one cool-ass-looking building. So I'll make the promise again that no, I won't fall for a pretty label again. And in six weeks, I'll be back lamenting all over again.
Do-over? The magic 8-ball says: "Outlook not so good."
Final Grade: C

No comments: