10.05.2008

3 Blind Moose Pinot Grigio '07

Country: USA
Region: California
Thoughts: I should have studied the label a little better. Instead, the humorous drawing caught my attention; dammit, when will I learn to not be influenced solely by the catchiness of the name? Anyway, the location on the label simply read California; even with most of the other California wines I've had on here, a more distinct location was noted: Sonoma County, Lake County, Mendocino County. Per AVA rules, a wine that lists a location must use a certain percentage of grapes from that location (say, 80 percent or so, possibly higher). California isn't an AVA by itself, of course; instead, one can assume that 3 Blind Moose gets its grapes from a number of sources around the state. From what I've read, this should be a warning sign of a lesser-quality wine; by using such a large assortment of grapes from heaven knows where, the characteristics of a region's vineyards - the terroir - is lost. I don't think I'm at that point yet, but I want to be able to see what's the difference between a Napa pinot and an Oregon pinot. By casting a net so wide, 3BM can't tell me that. And really, it showed up in the wine too; you all know my affection for pinot grigio, but the 3BM was wholly bland. The nose was light and indiscernible after just a few sips; the taste was lightly cirtusy with no depth or complexity. It was disappointing, but I should've known what I was getting myself into...
Do-over? No chance
Final Grade: C-

No comments: